A dragon, robot, superhero, maybe a super-villain. I can be any one of these things on any given day. I can climb a mountain made completely of marshmallows, travel to a distant planet, or save this one from impending doom. Some days I will invade a neighboring country then retreat to my couch cushion castle. It's all in a days work when you are a dad.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Beware The Giraffe!


     We are safe in here.  We’ve built this structure to withstand all forms of inclement weather.  Our loyal soldiers protect us on all sides; we have an infinite supply of food…we even have a kitchen sink.  When we get bored we have books to read or we can just sit around and tell stories of the old days.  Unfortunately, we have no indoor plumbing so we’ll occasionally have to venture into the outside world where danger lurks around every corner.  No worries, though, we have our swords and shields… and an Ironman Repulse Blaster?!  Figures, just when I think Jordan is going play fair he Ironman blasts me in the face, and I thought he was on my team.  I guess all is fair in our imaginary world.
     The structure we built is actually a few sheets attached with tape, tacks and clips to the furniture, ceiling and walls.  Not exactly weather proof, it actually breaks about every twenty-seven seconds.  The soldiers that protect us are stuffed animals of various shape and sizes including:  a bear(with one eye, I believe, he’s definitely battle hardened), Goofy, a blue reindeer, an obese horse, Buzz Lightyear, a wingless and toothless dragon, a tiger and a five foot giraffe, who’s legs you must crawl through to enter the fort.  The reason our food supply is infinite is because, well, it’s plastic and you can’t really eat it.  But, on the plus side, we will never run out of ice cream and hidden inside the cone is a reservoir that holds bubble solution.  When Jordan talks about the old days it usually consists of him quoting his favorite lines from his Ironman and Spiderman cartoons.  There also aren’t any corners for danger to lurk behind on the way to the bathroom; it’s about eight feet straight down the hall.  The biggest danger I encounter is my rear end getting stuck in the giraffe’s legs when I’m trying to exit the fort, if I’m not careful the whole structure will come down on top of me.
     We’ve had this fort up for a few days now.  There is something magical about it.  When you are inside of it you can be where ever you want; a desert, a jungle or a spaceship.  The possibilities are only limited by your imagination; luckily, Jordan and I have that in spades.  Maybe you should give it a try, but watch your back; you never know when your partner will turn on you and Ironman blast you in the face.


5 comments:

  1. This makes me want to build a fort right now. I miss building forts. perhaps that will become my new hobby while luke is at work. I've got two cats, i mean... one great panther and the grey lioness!!! to protect me from evil doers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative! Jordan is one lucky boy and is going to grow up with an amazing imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I clicked on the WGU ad and now I'm enrolled. Wow. The power of advertisement...

    You think I'm kidding??!?!

    Oh and Keep up the good work. You have a great imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it, I built one for Kalli and Mason and my rear end ALSO got stuck in the door way HA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! You've got to be careful getting stuck around those two. Mason loves to attack when you are vulnerable.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment, I would love to hear from you!