A dragon, robot, superhero, maybe a super-villain. I can be any one of these things on any given day. I can climb a mountain made completely of marshmallows, travel to a distant planet, or save this one from impending doom. Some days I will invade a neighboring country then retreat to my couch cushion castle. It's all in a days work when you are a dad.

Monday, February 7, 2011

A hero in the making...

I asked Jordan what he wanted me to write about today.  He gave me one word, BATMAN.  This one word speaks volumes to me.  There are so many angles and aspects to this one word when it comes to my life, and also in mine and Jordan’s relationship.  To us Batman isn’t just a word, it’s a symbol, a symbol of our imaginations, a symbol of our hearts desires, a symbol of our rivalry and my rivalry with some friends of mine as well.  You see, I’m a Superman fan, the most noble, powerful, humble, courageous, and pure hearted super hero of them all.  Some of my friends, as well as Jordan, are Batman fans and we have an ongoing battle about who is better, Superman, of course, but they don’t have their heads on straight, obviously so I let them get away with it.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan of all super heroes, something about super heroes gets me right at my core.  Even right now as I type the words SUPER HEROES something inside me stirs with excitement, as if my very soul has butterflies.  Super heroes aren’t just characters in cartoons and comic books to me, they are much more real, what they stand for is what I try to stand for.  Strength, chivalry, love, self sacrifice, courage, hope and faith; these are the words that I try to live by.  Although I’ve messed up countless times in my life and I will never be perfect I will always strive to be a better man and a hero to Jodi and Jordan.
Jordan actually calls me Superman sometimes, a fact that warms my heart.  We will be watching a cartoon and Superman will appear and he’ll say “Daddy, it’s you!”, then Batman will appear and he say “Daddy, it’s me!” then the Flash will show up and he’ll say “Daddy, it’s Momma!”.  I don’t recall how exactly Jodi got dubbed The Flash, but I’m glad she did, he’s one of my top three.  Apparently that’s what we are all supposed to be for Halloween this year as well, according to Jordan.
I think Jordan’s love for super heroes is a great sign of his character.  I believe he has a heroes heart, especially when it comes to his mom.  He knows just the things to say to melt her heart.  Just last night, while the three of us were laying on the couch, he looked up at Jodi and said “You’re beautiful Momma.”
That’s my boy.

I’ll write more about the Superman and Batman debate in the future, I just wanted to get this post up.  There are so many things that I want to say right now, but I am running short on time, so please keep tuning in for updates.

1 comment:

  1. Everything about this way perfect except when you said that Superman was better. but. almost Jerm-butt. You'll learn. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment, I would love to hear from you!